As announced a while ago, ROTTR Web will celebrate the 20th anniversary of Lara Croft and Tomb Raider by (among other things) walking down the Tomb Raider memory lane with you! In the spotlight today: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light!
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is an action-adventure game developed by Crystal Dynamics and published by Square Enix for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and iOS through digital distribution in 2010. It is part of the Tomb Raider series, but unlike previous games, the game does not carry the Tomb Raider brand and has a heavy emphasis on cooperative gameplay. In multiplayer, players take the role as either Lara Croft or a 2,000-year-old Mayan warrior named Totec. They must work together in order to stop the evil spirit Xolotl and retrieve the Mirror of Smoke. A single-player campaign mode is available that does not include the non-playable character AI following or helping Lara.The game was well received by critics and as of 22 August 2013, the game has sold more than 1 million copies on all platforms. Guardian of Light is not part of the main Tomb Raider brand, instead it is intended to start a new series simply titled, “Lara Croft”.
The game uses recycled musical cues from Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld by composers Troels Brun Folmann and Colin O’Malley. Have a listen below!
Did you know..? Trivia Facts:
– First Tomb Raider game to not be titled as “Tomb Raider”.
– This is the second Tomb Raider game where you play as another character.
– Simon Templeman and Michael Bell re-praise their roles as Kain and Raziel (respectively) for the first time in seven years.
– The first Tomb Raider game to feature characters from two entirely different video game series.
– The first Tomb Raider game with a multi-player mode.
– Unlike previous installments of the series, which were adventure games with a virtual camera viewpoint, The Guardian of Light is a non-linear “arcade-inspired” action game with a fixed isometric camera, similar to Tomb Raider: The Prophecy for Game Boy Advance.
– Guardian of Light is not part of the main Tomb Raider brand, instead it is intended to start a new series simply titled, “Lara Croft”.
HD Conceptual Artworks:
One thought on “20 Years Celebration Spotlight: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light”